Sunday, July 7, 2013

My life up to now. Part 7: Broken Promises and Lapsed Options

In 2004, Robin's writing finally started gaining some traction. A producer out of LA contacted us and wanted to option her script Dreamers. This was a very exciting phone call as they were wanting to go into production fairly quickly. We were super stoked! Robin has been writing screen plays since she was 15 years old. This was another dream come true for us. Just when things were looking wonderful, we stopped hearing from them. They stopped returning our phone calls and emails. Nothing. The option lapsed and we were back to square one. Instead of retyping this exact same thing again, I will say that this particular scenario happened at least two more times that I remember on different scripts.

This business is full of broken promises


It was sometime in 2005 when Robin said "Why are we trying to sell a script so that someone can produce our movie?". I said, "Because you are a script writer. You want to sell your script…. ?". "We can't sit around and wait until someone produces our movie. That's not working. This… THIS ISN'T WORKING. Do you know how many millions of people just like me, just as good as me are trying to sell their script?" It was then that Robin said something to me that seemed so simple that I couldn't believe we hadn't thought of it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment