Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My life up to now. Part 3: Thousands of commercials can't be wrong

After about a year, I quit school and took on a full time job doing computer animation and graphics. I was living the dream. At just 19 years old, I was winning ADDYs. A year or so later, the wheel of life kept spinning and I found myself working as a commercial editor for a FOX affiliate while continuing to freelance as an animator. This is the point in my life where I edited an average of 4 spots a day, 5 days a week. We were still in the analog world, shooting on MII, mastering to 1" reel and using an Ampex ACE Editor. In a year I had edited over 1000 commercials. One night I was up at the station editing promos. I was the only editor there that night and was behind trying to catch up. I neglected to get one of the VO guys to cut a few of that weeks promos so I did the only thing I could do. I jumped into the sound booth and cut my own VO. I figured it was better to ask for forgiveness than for permission! I certainly didn't want to have to tell my boss I hadn't finished the promos. That next week, a promo with my voice went to air and the promotions manager busts through the door of the studio and yelled "Whose voice is on the Seinfeld promo that just aired!?" "Mine sir, sorry… There was no one here to do t-". "No no… I LOVE IT! Nations, from now on you're the new promo voice. The voice of KARD! I'll get you this weeks copy, have those carts on my desk by Wednesday." Everyone in the room stared at me for what seemed to be an eternity. I was sitting there trying to piece together what actually just took place. And then in about 4 more seconds, everything just resumed as if nothing had happened. It was a real "record scratch" moment if you know what I mean. I did have a spring in my step that entire day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment